PTA Grows in Numbers and Service
During the Study period, the Parent-Teacher Association grew and prospered. Among the projects they sponsored in an effort to provide the best education were the following:
- Organization of a safety council.
- Establishment of the Gertrude McBride Student Loan Fund to secure books and fees for needy high school children.
- Sponsorship of the Girl Scouts and the Camp Fire Girls.
- Strong support to the bond issue that would improve classroom situations for young people.
- Encouragement of visual and cultural education for young people.
- Addition of diphtheria immunizations, eye testing, and diabetic testing to a continuing health program.
- Sponsorship of the first White House Conference for Children in Springfield.
- Organization of the first kindergarten at Rountree School.
- Assistance with the war effort.
- Assistance with the Mothers Drive for Polio.