Home | Buffalo Bill | Sixties | People | Springfield History | Education | Travels |Around & About | Internet
1836 28 The County Court ordered a two-story, red brick courthouse built in the center of the Public Square at a cost of $3250.
1861 09 The Federal Army, under Gen. David Hunter, who had succeeded Gen. Fremont, withdrew to Rolla.
1861 18 Gen. Sterling Price again moved Confederate troops into the city. Springfield was under military rule from 1861 to 1864.
1881 08 Mule-powered streetcars were introduced in Springfield after a charter was granted to H.F. Fellows, R.J. McElhany and James Stroughton to operate a public conveyance on Boonville from the square to Commercial Street, then to the Frisco passenger station on Benton. The operation included two miles of track, seven cars and 20 mules. Later , the mule cars were succeeded by electric street cars which served Springfieldians until 1937.
1883 05 Eight persons were killed and many injured as a tornado swept North Springfield from the Woolen Mill at present Grant Beach Park, east on Division Street and Locust Street, damaging the mill, destroying Sacred Heart Church and 40 houses.
1891 28 The first organized football game was played in Springfield -- Drury, 0; Washington University 18.
1906 29 Mrs. Ellen A. Burge opened Burge Deaconess Hospital in a residence on North Jefferson Avenue. Miss Maud Luckey, Later Mrs. John Conkling, was first superintendent. The name was changed to Burge Hospital, then Burge Protestant Hospital, and now is Lester E. Cox Medical Center, as units were added and the area expanded.
1910 22 First electric lights in a Springfield home were installed this date at the residence of Frank Fellows.
1911 11 At 3:30 p.m. the temperature reached 80 degrees. Within an hour after a cold front passed, it dropped to 28 degrees and reached a record low of 13 before midnight.
1920   Prof. R. Ritchie Robertson, native of Scotland, head of the Springfield Public School Music Department, organized the Boy Scout Band, later proclaimed largest such band in the world. He also organized Kiltie High School Girls Drum Corps at Senior High School in 1926, as well as other school musical groups and some fraternal bands.
1923 11 The Springfield Hospital now will be known as the Springfield Baptist Hospital, according to announcement of the newly elected president of the board of directors, Dr. S. F. Freeman. It will be open to patients and doctors of all creeds.
1927 30 Springfield's first radio station...WAIA...went on the air from Heers.
1929 04 A crowd estimated at 10,000 attended the big barbecue and program at the formal opening of the livestock exchange building at Union Stockyards.
1929 18 Absence of smallpox in Springfield is a topic of rejoicing for City Health Commissioner Lon Sharp. He believes it is due to the intensive vaccination campaign carried on last year. Other communicable diseases have brought 29 quarantines - 15 for scarlet fever, 13 for diphtheria, and one for measles.
1931 28 When more than 100 students of Springfield Senior High School promoted a strike, they were banned from special school activities until January 22. Eight first-team football players were among those banned.
1941 08 O'Reilly General Army Hospital was dedicated on North Glenstone Ave. and immediately opened for patients. After World War II it continued as a VA hospital until last patient left Aug. 28, 1952. Tract used for hospital had included the privately owned Glenstone Golf Course, Pythian Home grounds, and Smith City Park.
1950   A proposal to build a electric power plant was voted down.
1955 08 Voters approve annexation of 17.7 square miles.
1955 11 Fellows Lake, built by the Springfield City Water Company for water supply, is dedicated.
1964 09 Office employees of the Frisco Railway began work in their new building, 3252 East Trafficway. They had moved from their longtime offices at the northwest corner of Olive and Jefferson, now the Landmark Building.
1967   Springfield General Osteopathic Hospital opened at 2828 North National in move from its former location at Kimbrough Ave. and Sunshine St.
1970 02 The name of the Public Square was changed to Park Central Square; a dedication held December 5.
1980 11 Frisco Railway merges with Burlington Northern. The merger created the second longest rail line but retired the Frisco emblem.
1983   The University Plaza Hotel opens. The hotel becomes the flagship of John Q. Hammons center city development.
1986   Vice President Bush made a stop at Hickory Hills Junior High School.
1987   Voters defeat a half-cent sales tax.
1987 24 The city received 6.27 inches of rain a new record.
1991 29 A tornado touched down just north of Nixa and moved northeast into southeastern Springfield, where 53 homes were destroyed and 160 more damaged. Two people were killed, 64 were injured.
January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

Home | Buffalo Bill | Sixties | People | Springfield History | Education | Travels |Around & About | Internet
Page maintained by - Last updated March 28, 2003