Home | Buffalo Bill | Sixties | People | Springfield History | Education | Travels |Around & About | Internet
The dates listed below for events that have taken place in the history of Springfield and surrounding area have been taken from a number of sources over the years: a chronology put together by Lucille Morris Upton for Springfield Newspapers; information in the History Museum for Springfield-Greene County; and articles in the collection of the Springfield-Greene County Library. They are as accurate as the original material.





Rountree family arrives.

Joseph Rountree and family and Sidney S. Ingram, his nephew arrived. This homesite was 2 1/2 miles southwest. Rountree taught first school in present Greene County in log cabin at about 18243 West Mt. Vernon.


Greene County established.

Greene County was established by the Missouri General Assembly; named for General Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War hero. First boundaries were: west, Kansas; south, Arkansas; east, Gasconade River; and north, Osage Fork.


City residents get caught up in the Gold Rush

More then 135 Springfieldians left the Queen City to seek gold in California, and many died on the way and few returned.


First steam mill opened

Sampson Bass opened the first steam mill to serve families of several counties.


Battle of Springfield

Confederates under Gen. John S. Marmaduke made unsuccessful attempt to capture city.


Quinine Brigade mustered

When it was learned that Confederate general John Marmaduke was preparing to invade Springfield, Union commander E.B. Brown mustered the famed "quinine brigade" of sick and wounded here.


Phelps first Springfieldian elected Governor

Springfieldian John S. Phelps, the first from the city to be elected governor, was the first Missouri Governor inaugurated to serve a term of four years.


First mail delivery

First free mail delivery in city. Post Office was in arcade at southeast corner of Public Square.


Union National Bank founded

The original Union National Bank was founded by H.B. McDaniel.


Training School for Nurses organized

Springfield Hospital Association and Training school for Nurses organized. Building opened Jan. 1, 1905, as Springfield Hospital. It later became Springfield Baptist Hospital; now Park Central Hospital.


Baldwin Theater burns

Baldwin Theater, built in 1891 on St. Louis Street, burns.


First auto race

More than 10,000 Springfieldians saw the first automobile race here as 10 cars came down Boonville from Commercial Street, turned west on College Street , and on to Republic and back. Only five autos finished the race and the winner was Holland Keet who completed the race in one and one-half hours.


First Boy Scout troop

First Boy Scout troop here was named Bob White Patrol, No. 1


Sisters of Mercy receive gift for new St. John's Hospital.

A gift of $5000 was made to the Sisters of Mercy by D.J. Landers and his father, John Landers, toward the addition now being built at St. John's Hospital, Nichols and Main streets.


New medical clinic established.

Establishment of a group medical clinic was announced by Drs. Wilbur Smith, Wallace Smith, Robert Glynn and about 11 associate physicians and surgeons. Headquarters will be in the Holland Building. Complete medical and laboratory facilities will be available.


Holland Banking Company closes

Holland Banking Company, one of oldest banks in Springfield, closed its doors. The closing cam following what newspapers called a 'false rumor'. The town was more nervous than usual because the American Savings Bank closed Nov. 17.


Police on the lookout for dope runners

They said dope was spreading rapidly even among school children in other states and even some here. "We have no dope fiends in our school system now, as far as we have been able to find out", said Superintendent W.W. Thomas.


Mayer Milling Co. ships all over the world.

Combined capacity of mills operated by the Mayer Milling Co. is almost a million barrels a year. The flour from the company is shipped to Holland, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Spain, and South America.


Plans announced for new buildings

John T. Woodruff, promoter of some of Springfield's foremost enterprises, announced plans for a luxury tourist hotel, later named Kentwood Arms, also a golf course on his Cherry Street farm, now Hickory Hills Country Club. He also had built the Woodruff Building, which bears his name, and had promoted many other enterprises, among which were Colonial Hotel, former Frisco Office Building at Jefferson and Olive, and Sansone Hotel.


Changes in city's newspapers

The Bixby family of Muscle, Okla., bought The Republican from E.E.E. McJimsey and changed the name to The News. After The Leader was sold to eastern publishers, who later sold it The News, the two plants were combined in The Leader building, McDaniel and Jefferson. The Press was established by H.S. Jewell in 1929. It consolidated with the Leader and the News as Springfield Newspapers, Inc., May 4, 1933, moving to building at Boonville and Chestnut. This burned March 27, 1947, and was replaced with present plant.


City buys land for new disposal plant.

City Council has agreed to buy 212 acres northwest of Fulbright Pumping Station for a new disposal plant. This will cost $20,000 and when developed will replace two little out-of-date plants near Doling and Zoo Parks. The plant cost is estimated at $120,000.


Woodruff Building sold.

Sale of the 10-story Woodruff Building by John T. Woodruff to F.X. Heer of the Heer Stores Co., and the Heer-Andres Investment Co., was announced, Jan. 2. Price is reported to be $700,000. Our newspaper thinks that is the largest business deal in the history of Springfield.


Officer abducted by Bonnie and Clyde

Springfield motorcycle policeman Thomas A. Purcell stopped a car belonging to Clyde Barrow, D.D. Jones and Bonnie Parker. They forced him into the car. He was let out unharmed.


Young Brothers' Massacre takes place

Six Springfield and Greene County law enforcement officers were killed in Young Brothers' Massacre. They were Sheriff Marcell Hendrix. Deputy Wiley Mashburn, and Deputy Ollie Crosswhite; City Detective Chief Tony Oliver, Detective Sid Meadows, and Patrolman Charlie Houser.


City flag is adopted

Springfield city flag adopted by City Council -- a tricolor flag of horizontal bards with four corner stars. Its significance in coloring was given as: red for cooperation; white for achievement; and blue for civic pride, with stars standing, respectively, for religion, homes, education, and industry. The flag was suggested by W. Paul Harris, Commercial Street businessman.


First Congregational Church burns

First Congregational Church, Benton and Calhoun, built 49 years before burned. New building was dedicated March 14, 1954, for the congregation organized in 1869.


KTTS-TV broadcasts first color television signal


Disruption of natural gas service threatens city.

Disruption ran from January 21 to 24 with many people staying in shelters during coldest spell of the winter.


Ground broken for Litton Industries plant

Ground breaking ceremonies for Littlon Industries--Advanced Circuitry Division, 4811 West Kearney.


Historical Sites Board created

City Council created Historical Sites Board to designate and help preserve meaningful landmarks of Springfield's history.


Springfield Community Hospital is city's fifth hospital.


Councilman Slavens is convicted on federal obstruction charge.

Slavens survived a February 7 recall election but resigned February 13.


Parole violator shot and killed by police officer.

LeRoy Krueger was shot to death by police office Don Fuhr after a foot chase.


Gulf War starts, Springfieldians involved


Icy, snowy weather hits; stays for long time


SMSU and City to seek state funding for civic center

The university and the city agreed to seek state funding for a proposed $36 million civic center/basketball arena, including a parking garage.

January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

Home | Buffalo Bill | Sixties | People | Springfield History | Education | Travels |Around & About | Internet
Page maintained by - Updated February 6, 2003