|Springfield's first newspaper, The Ozark Standard, began operations under direction of editor and publisher J.C. Tuberville. Later the newspaper was changed to The Eagle by a new publisher, R.A. Huffard. It had a short life, and the publisher of a third succeeding publication, the Springfield Advertiser, which began here in May 1844, indicated that the presses of the Old Standard and Eagle had been gathering dust for quite a while before he took over the building.
|First publication of the Springfield Leader was issued by O.S. Fahenstock and Company with Daniel C. Kennedy the editor, and, after, September, 1868, the owner. It became a daily, May 3, 1870, but there was later interval of weekly publication before it returned to daily.
|The Board of Education of the newly formed Springfield School District held its first meeting. James Baker was chosen president, W.C. Hornbeak, secretary; and Charles Sheppard, treasurer. Dr. E.T. Robberson, J.M. Kelley and William R. Gorton filled out the first board.
A construction train of South Pacific Railway, later the Frisco, pulled into the station at Commercial St. and Benton Ave.
|Voters overwhelmingly voted to consolidate Springfield and North Springfield.
|Ping pong was introduced to the community by "young society women".
A mob of men estimated at 5000 broke into the Greene County Jail on Easter Eve and took three Negro men, lynching them on the Public Square.
|The Missouri Pacific Railway ran its first train into Springfield on line built from White River Division of Crane.
|The Senior High School Kilties Drum Corps makes first appearance in a downtown parade.
|President Dwight Eisenhower signed a bill creating Wilson';s Creek National Battlefield Park. Later "Park" was deleted in title. An appropriation of $120,000 was approved for the project.
|A tornado struck in south Springfield killing two, injuring 21, and damaging more than 800 homes.
|Voters in the county repealed the "blue law" and made it the 16th in the state to allow retail stores to sell on Sunday.